WHAT'S GOIN' ON HERE?

Saturday, November 29, 2008

From the RAT Files Circa 2004: What Goes Around, Comes Around! Sort Of!

At the height of my early citizen band radio days (translation: freeband), I ran a high-powered HF station using an SBE SB-36 with stacked PAL Vee-Quads. Plugged into the mic input was a classic bright and shiny silver Astatic D-104. Sadly, I sold the D-104 away with the entire schmear as I made the transition into amateur radio. But this past September, while attending the Ballston Spa Hamfest, I came across a one-time fellow infidel, Glen WB2FOB, who just happened to be selling off his own classic bright and shiny silver Astatic D-104 in excellent condition. I was advised by observant hams that it was in excellent condition because in addition to there being no scratches or marks, the felt on the bottom of the stand was in perfect shape.
.
.
But as of this writing, I do not run any high-powered freeband stations and all of my ham gear is in the form of small mobile radios or portables. So I decided to wire up the classic bright and shiny silver Astatic D-104 and plug it into one of my computers where it now plays on ECHOLINK and EQSO. I am further advised that I now have (in the parlance of the TIMTRON WA1HLR) "strapping audio" compared to my other El Cheaporino Radioshack computer mic. It's not quite the same as the old days, but having the classic bright and shiny silver Astatic D-104 in the shack again does bring back fond memories of times gone by.
.
By the way, the December 2003 issue of QST has a nice little article on classic microphones manufactured for use on amateur radio including the classic bright and shiny silver D-104.
- 30 -

No comments: