WHAT'S GOIN' ON HERE?

Sunday, September 6, 2009

We Got Mail! Mail Is Good! We Like Our Mail!

Here, in no particular order, are a few recent e-mail requests for an Official This Week in Amateur Radio QSL Card. The more traditional pathway of writing a reception report and mailing it to: This Week in Amateur Radio Post Office Box 30, Sand Lake, New York 12153 has given way in recent years to an e-mail request sent to n2fnh@capital.net. So, whether you receive the program over your local VHF or UHF repeater, copy the show over WBCQ or download the latest weekly Internet Podcast, you can get your own TWIAR QSL Card by taking pen to paper, or fingers to keyboard. either way works!

---
Hi! Thanks for your great blog entry regarding packet radio! Your mention of upstate NY prompted me to send this email. I will have been in the hobby for 2 years in Sept, and am involved with the Saratoga and Warren County groups. Saratoga does have a node that I really can't hit with my antenna (tuned too high), but I hope to eventually resolve that. I am also in a position to suggest that a digipeter be placed on Gore Mt, along with the APRS setup there. Last month, while in Saratoga after our NYSDOH Hospital drill, I messed around on the K2DLL machine and got into TARA's packet BBS. It was quite interesting :) I was heavily involved in Fidonet BBS's back in the late 80's and early 90's, so I have something of a clue. I'd really like to build a packet BBS here and tie into the Flexnet system, and have dreams of building some internet gateway services into it. I've emailed Rusty KE2PW, and he has offered a TNC, that may need some work, toward the project. I'd love a 9600 baud system, but the other links are just 2400, so I'll go slow at first. It's interesting to note that my internet access is also wireless, via satellite, thru wildblue.net, since cable is 5 poles down the road and I'm about 5 miles too far from the nearest CO for DSL. It's not that I'm really wanting to beat a dead horse, but I see the value in experimenting with an aspect of the hobby so close to my interest in computers, as well as it's value in emergency communications. I'm also interested in HSDD "hinternet" stuff, but I'm in "the boonies" so I hay have to wait for interest in that to restart. Anyhow, thanks again for the history lesson to this newbie. :) I can hit the Schenectady .06 machine fairly well from here, if you want to try a 2m QSO, and also have 10-80 HF available. 73 de Jeff KC2SDS Jeff Archambeault
---
Hi!
I'm Etienne Ali, VA2SSS, listening through mp3 file downloads. I wish to receive the twiar qsl card. My address is: Etienne Ali Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
---
Hey........
Love listening to ya'll. I listen at work while designing Electrical Circuits for commercial laundry equipment.
Keith w5kb
---
this is kc0qjj. i've been a ham since 2003. not sure how qsl's work, just know the theory behind them. no idea what i need to put here? i live in springfield, mo. i listen via the podcasts (bcq can be hard to get and no repeaters here carry any of these cool ham radio shows) and i synch them to my new iphone!!!!!!!! beats having to be tied to the computer. the phone uses the built in screen reader so blind and visually impaired and blind people like me can use the phone. everything i encounter when i touch the screen will speak to me. it's wonderful! it's the same screen reader in my imac. i just followed the twitter account. i'm gowrone. if you guys tweet, feel free to follow me!!!!! i like your shows that you guys make! i also subscribe to the ar newsline, arrl, and rain podcasts. am i missing any? grin. oh yeah world of radio too....... lol am i still missing any? :). 73.
---
Greetings! I been downloading TWIAR onto my iPod and listening to it while at work. Great way to keep up on things.

Billy (N4WJT)
---
Mr Bill Baran N2FNH.
Greetings.
My name is Greg McCulkin, VK1TEQ, and I'm from Canberra, Australia. Finally I took a proper look at your blog. Saw the photo of You and Bill Continelly W2XOY Now I know what you look like. Always waited anxiously for your segments in TWIARI. Your segments have a thought provoking moral, "The Process Is More Important Than The Result". True. It seems indeed that the human race seems to prefer "presentation" than "functionality". I work in retail, my chosen career was supposed to Electrical Engineering. A long time age. P.S. Iv'e been here for 18 months, I'm a Sydney man born and bred, will "go home" one day. Always look forward to Bill Continelli's, W2XOY, segments as well. Would you please be kind enough to pass onto Bill too, thankyou. All the best. Gre.J.McCulkin VK1TEQ, (formally VK2TEQ

---
We also received written letters from the following folks:
Hank Vandenbrand, of Merlin, Ontario Canada and Gori Roberto, of Livorno, Italia! Many thanks to everyone who contacted This Week in Amateur Radio: QSL cards are on the way!
Bill N2FNH

No comments: