WHAT'S GOIN' ON HERE?

Monday, May 4, 2009

eQSL! Who Knew? Part 2! So Nu?

.
This is funny to me. I went back to http://www.eqsl.cc/ and updated my personal profile. After plugging in what apparently passed for pertinent data, the unseen machinations of the eQSL robot machines promptly generated for me personally, a generic eQSL, which is displayed here within the bounds of this very specific blogulation.
.
This generic, yellowishy-hued eQSL brought back a very specific Memorex of my Father's own yellowishly-hued aQSL or Analog QSL Card, printed with thick black stock ink on a fairly thick paper stock, almost like cardboard. My Dad's QSL Card was dollar store quality, decades before the advent of the dollar store. No pix. Just the bare facts.
.
Back then, my Father was a factory worker at Colgate-Palmolive-Peet in Union City, New Jersey. Colgate-Palmolive is still around but Peet beat a hasty retreat sometime in the late sixties or maybe he was bought out but I digress. My Father, like most hams, was cheap. We saved a lot of money on household cleaners, soaps and experimental test products that never had the chance to gather dust on a supermarket store shelf. Further, most of these freebies were brightly packaged with foreign language descriptive, but Ajax was Ajax, Fab was Fab and Colgate toothpaste was the same no matter what the lingo.
.
Somehow, the OM got the guys in Product Labelling to fabricate these third world yellowishy-hued three by fives with the thick stock black ink. Sadly, I no longer have any of these but seeing something so similar pop up forty eight years later on a twenty-first century computer screen gave me pause to reflect.
.

No comments: