WHAT'S GOIN' ON HERE?

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

From the RATFILES Circa 2004: Linnix, Lynux...Whatever!

.
Editor's note: The Random Access Thought and the Random Access File can be heard in produced form, complete with expensive licensed sound effects, exclusively over This Week in Amateur Radio, North America's premier amateur radio audio news bulletin service, heard on hundreds of VHF and UHF repeaters around the world. This Week can also be downloaded in various audio formats by clicking on http://www.twiar.org/ What follows is a text script for a RAT which should available Saturday evening April 24th, 2004.
.
The other day while I was perusing various items for bid on EBAY, my inner voice, my alter ego,a voice from the id, decided to pop up up like a lousy two bit Internet ad:
.
BILL?
.
Yes?
.
DID YOU SEE PAGE 92 OF THE MARCH 2004 QST?
.
No, not yet.
.
YOU SHOULD CHECK IT OUT.
.
OK, I will.
.
DO IT NOW!
.
You know you're very pushy.
.
YES, I KNOW.
.
OK, so I'm reading already. I see it's the Digital Dimension column by Stan Horzepa WA1LOU. It's about going online with Linux. What am I looking for?
.
YOU KNOW YOU'RE MISPRONOUNCING THAT NAME.
.
Yeah? So what do you say, Linnux?
.
I DID, UNTIL I READ THAT ARTICLE. LOOK TOWARD THE END WHERE IT SAYS: HOW DO YOU SAY LINUX. GO AHEAD AND READ IT!
.
You know you're very pushy.
.
YES, I KNOW.
.
Why don't you read it yourself?
.
OK, I WILL, SO LISTEN VERY CAREFULLY!
.
HERE IS SOME LINUX TRIVIA. THERE ARE VARYING OPINIONS ON HOW TO PRONOUNCE LINUX. I HAVE HEARD THE 'LIN' IN LINUX PRONOUNCED WITH A SHORT 'I' AS IN 'LINDA' AND WITH A LONG 'I' AS IN 'LINE'. BOTH ARE INCORRECT. ACCORDING TO LINUS TORVALDS, THE FATHER OF LINUX, THE 'I' IN LINUX IS PRONOUNCED LIKE A LONG 'E', THAT IS 'LEE-NUX'. GO TO http://www.paul.sladen.org/pronunciation/ AND HEAR LINUS PRONOUNCE IT HIMSELF.
.
So Boys and Girls, today's lesson is. It's not Linnix. It's not Lynux. Now get this. It's Leeeennix. Leeeeeeeeeenix. Did you get that? Leeeeeeeeeeeenix!
.
SEE, I WAS RIGHT.
.
You know you're very pushy.
.
YES, I KNOW!
.
THE FNH UPDATE: Fortunately, it appears the above address is still valid :)

No comments: