WHAT'S GOIN' ON HERE?

Friday, October 10, 2008

We Just Got a Letter! We Just Got a Letter! And So Forth!

Here, in no particular order, are a few recent e-mail requests for an Official This Week in Amateur Radio QSL Card. The more traditional pathway of writing a reception report and mailing it to: This Week in Amateur Radio Post Office Box 30, Sand Lake, New York 12153 has given way in recent years to an e-mail request sent to n2fnh@capital.net. So, whether you receive the program over your local VHF or UHF repeater, copy the show over WBCQ or download the latest weekly Internet Podcast, you can get your own TWIAR QSL Card by taking pen to paper, or fingers to keyboard. either way works!

--- --- ---
OK I admit it. Between QSOs I visited your blog.
73, Harry
W9HGO -SKCC #4647

I have been an active SWL'er since 1960. Passed my General written 10/20/04 and passed my code exam and extra written on 1/23/05. No transmitter at the moment but have a JRC525 on the receive side. My previous radios were a Yaesu FRG 7000 and a Hallicrafters SX-110. I am usually on 10 15 40 or 80 listening for CW to copy or our local repeater here in Chicago, IL (147.15). I like the idea of QRP and looking for an old inexpensive boat anchor to go along with the JRC. Also interested in glow bugs and want to build up an old 1 tube transmitter at some point in the future. At the moment, July 2008, looking for my first HF rig. Finally got my first HF rig a beautiful Icom 765. On August 28th I made my first QSO. I am doing mostly CW and waiting for my digital interface so I can do some psk31 and RTTY. You will find me mainly on 40M. But check out the SKCC sked page http://www.obriensweb.com/sked/ and come and find me. I can do about 5-7 WPM so be patient.

--- --- ---

Hello George,While strolling through the ham radio sites I recently found TWIAR. IT'S FUN!Some of your most important topics are hardly a topic on this side ofthe pond. Distances are much shorter here - you can easily go from oneend of Germany to the other within a single day and there are some82.000.000 people living in this crammed space.Every 60 miles or so you have a town of at least 100.000, quite a few ofthem 1.000 years old and some even 2.000 years. So we had enough time tobuild an infrastructure to last. The last desaster where amateur radioplayed an important role in was the Hamburg flooding in 1962. Besides:As far as I can judge many things are much more buerocratic over here.How does it come that TWIAR has not been mentioned at Wikipedia? Thatis, until today - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_Week_In_Amateur_Radio_International.

Let's hope that none of the moderators will delete it. Perhaps you can find a ham or two to polish the article. But you know the Wikipediapolicy: Don't do it yourself...vy 73,AlexanderDL4NO

No comments: